What changes would you like to see in your system? The team at AccountMate wants to know! In fact, MANY software enhancement requests that come direct from users like you are prioritized for inclusion in new releases.

It doesn’t matter if you want a minor addition to an existing feature, or you have a request for a major new feature or an entire module. Or anything in-between. AccountMate would like to hear your request.

AccountMate’s doing their next prioritization of enhancement requests shortly, based on a review of all requests submitted to date. So send in your wish list of one or more features that would make your job easier.  

How to request an AccountMate product enhancement

Send your request to iSOFT. Why us? Because more than half the time, the feature that someone is asking for already exists. That means you wouldn’t need to wait for a possible enhancement to the software. For example, a reporting enhancement request might already be addressed by one of the several hundred built-in reports in AccountMate. Or, one of those built-in reports might get you 90% of the way to what you’re requesting, and we could quickly tweak that report to get you the other 10% that’s specific to your business. If the enhancement you want is already something that your current version of AccountMate can do, we’re here to let you know, and show you how it works.

If it turns out that what you want isn’t already in AccountMate, we can submit your enhancement request for you. And if your request is something that we believe other users would want too, we can tell AccountMate that.

Or send your request to AccountMate. You can submit a product enhancement request anytime from inside your AccountMate software. Just hit <Help> then look down the list of options for <Enhancement Request>.  Clicking that will take you to the AccountMate website where you can enter the details of your suggestion, including the benefits that this change would provide to your business. Few software companies make it so easy for users to send in ideas for product requests, and seriously review each one.

We encourage you to help direct the future of the product—because who knows what you need better than you?